BFC Beat Lajong 2 – 0

BFC Beat Lajong 2 – 0

Bengaluru FC got the better of Shillong Lajong FC winning the match by a score line of 2-0 in the Hero I-League encounter at the Kanteerava Stadium on Saturday evening. Goals from Robin Singh and Thoi Singh helped the Blues seal a crucial victory.

Bengaluru started off the game brightly and pressed forward from the beginning. Their first chance of the match came in the early minutes as Robin Singh’s header was deflected away by Lajong custodian, Rehenesh TP.

Minutes later, Lajong came close to break the deadlock but Cornell Glen’s shot went just over the bar as a Bengaluru FC defender came in front of the striker to intervene his shot.

However it was the host Bengaluru FC who took the lead. Robin Singh found the back of the net to score his first goal of the I-League season, courtesy a cross from Shanker in the 17th minute.

The North East outfit pressed hard to level the tie and came close but Cornell Glen again could not convert the chance. Lajong lacked quality in most areas of the pitch and could not create too many problems for the Blues defence.

Then in the 41st minutes, Curtis Osano of Bengaluru FC was punished for pulling the shirt of Cornell Glen as he was sent off by the referee for the foul.

Bengaluru FC however did not back down as they pressed forward and Sunil Chettri could have doubled the lead but was unlucky to hit the post. The second half ended 1-0 in Favour of the Blues.

Coach Thangboi Singto brought on Brazilian Uilliams Souza Silva in place of Durga Boro at the start of the second half.

The home side seemed to change their game plan with only ten men on the pitch as they sat back deeper in their own half allowing more possession to the away team. Lajong tried to penetrate the Blues defence but failed to make any impact. Surprisingly, the Blues keeper did not have to make any real saves of the game as the Lajong strike force was hardly on target. Instead, Bengaluru countered the attack and doubled the lead in the 60th minute, after a cross from Eugeneson Lyngdoh found Thoi Singh who made no mistake in heading the ball into the back of the net.

After dominating possession, Lajong worked hard to come back into the game but failed in all their attempts for a breakthrough.

The home side did well to hold off the attack and earned themselves three points after the final whistle was blown. Lajong will be very disappointed after this performance and will look to bounce back in their next match against Dempo in Goa on the 21st of February 2015.