Federation Cup: BFC vs SLFC

Bengaluru FC edge Shillong Lajong FC in the Federation Cup encounter at the Tilak Maidan in Vasco, Goa on Friday. A goal from Robin Singh was enough for the defending I-League Champions, to take away all three points in the Group B fixture.

The Lajong Gaffer deployed as many as 6 Youth Academy Players against a strong Bengaluru side.

Ashley Westwood’s men started on a positive note earning a corner kick in the 3rd minute, and foreign recruit, Walker had the first shot of the game but was cleared by the resolute Lajong Defence. A minute later the Reds were awarded a free kick and Lajong Youth Academy Forward, Bipin Singh stepped up to take the shot which went straight to the BFC custodian Lalthuanmawia Ralte. The game started off brightly for both sides and as the game went on, both sides were creating a lot of chances forward. Bengaluru were much stronger physically but had to be composed against swift movement from the Reds in counter attack.
The blues did not underestimate the Reds as they kept looking for ways to break the deadlock but at the same time, stood firm at the back.
With neither side able to score in the first half, both teams went into the break goalless.

In the second half, Bengaluru FC brought on Robin Singh who made an immediate impact as he striked a powerful shot to the bottom left corner of the goal giving his side the lead in the 49th minute.

In the 58th minute the Reds could have equalised but David Ngaihte’s long range effort went just wide. As the game opened up, Robin Singh on the other end could have scored the second goal after he took a shot which hit the crossbar.

Thangboi Singto made only one change in the game when he brought on Youngster Redeem Tlang for Bipin Singh in the 73rd minute.
Lajong had a brilliant chance to level the score, when Redeem flicked Lalrammuana’s freekick towards Seiminlen Doungel who shot first time towards goal but it was saved by the BFC keeper.

Either side could have scored a goal towards the final minutes of the game but were very poor in the final third. Bengaluru FC emerged victorious as the final whistle was blown and Robin Singh was awarded Hero of the Match for his winning goal.

Bengaluru FC are currently sitting at the top of Group B with Seven Points and will play their last group fixture against Pune FC on 5th January. Meanwhile, Shillong Lajong have not managed to earn a point yet in this tournament and will face Mohun Bagan on the 6th of January at the Tilak Maidan at 4pm.