In a recent conversation with the Lajong Media, Shillong Lajong Striker and Former World Cupper Cornell Glen, spoke about his journey and experience so far with the North East Outfit, Shillong Lajong FC. Here are the excerpts from the Interview.
- How has the experience been so far with Lajong?
The experience has been great. I’m really happy in Shillong and really appreciate the love shown from the players, staff and fans. I love the diverse culture of the North East. Trinidad and Tobago Is also multi cultural, so this makes me feel a lot closer to home.
- 14 goals in your first I-League season where you ended up joint top scorer in the league, 4 goals in your first Federation Cup, would you say you have lived up to the fan’s and other people’s expectations?
I would hope so, but for me the expectations of my teammates and staff are way more important. I am probably the most experienced player on the team so that automatically makes me a leader and I’m the type of player who leads by example. What better way to do that than to bang in some goals and try to have good performances every game.
- Tell us a bit about your first season working with Thangboi Singto and all the players in the team?
Thangboi is a very young coach who is very knowledgeable about the game. I believe he will learn a lot more in time. I am enjoying working with him so far and hope maybe in the future we can work together on the coaching side.
- How would you rate I-League as compared to the other leagues that you have played in in your career?
Coming into the I-League I didn’t know what to expect. I think it is tougher than people would think. there are a lot of good quality players here in India and when you start scoring goals everyone attention is on you, so that makes it even tougher. What’s lacking in India are coaches that are strong tactically.
- Personal goals and targets this season.
My only goal is to try and finish higher than 6th position this season. Team goals always comes before personal goal!
- What do you think of the current squad this season?
This season we have a very young but very talented squad. With the inclusion on Penn, Uilliams, Son and myself, once we all stay fit I believe we have a team that can do very well this season.
- Do you think Lajong can improve their I-League standings this season compared to their previous season which they finished 6th in the league?
Yes we can! Its going to be a difficult task with a very inexperienced squad. Most of these guys are learning on the job, but once they all learn fast enough I think the I-League will be in for a surprise this season.
- You have already scored two goals so far for Lajong this season. Your thoughts on this?
It feels great to score those two goals as it motivates me and also gives me a lot of confidence to do better. But I still have to contribute a lot more than this. Being a striker you need to perform your duties and help them team win the matches. And I am working hard to help the team win every game possible.
- What message you would like to give to the Lajong Faithfuls?
This is a very young squad so stay faithful and Continue to support the team No matter what!!! We need you as our 12th man.
Shillong Lajong FC will play their next match against Defending Champions Bengaluru FC on the 14th of February at 7pm in Bengaluru. The match will telecast live on Ten Action.