Lajong beat RUFC 3-0

Lajong beat RUFC 3-0

A brilliant first day performance for Shillong Lajong FC as they register a 3-0 win over Rangdajied United FC, in their opening match of the Shillong Premier League Super Division 2015 held on Thursday at JN Stadium, Shillong.

Both teams were eager to kick off the Shillong Premier League Campaign with a win today and fielded their strongest team in the match.

Rangdajied United had a lot of experienced players in their squad while Lajong fielded all under 22 players.

The opening minutes of the first half were unimpressive for both sides as neither teams managed to find any rhythm in the game, with sloppy passes and restricted movements around the park.

The Blues had the first chance of the match towards the quarter of the first half when their striker found some space for a shot, but his eventual shot went high off the bar.

Few minutes later, the Reds had a very good chance to open the score sheet when the ball landed inside the box and could not be cleared by the defence but Lajong players were not able to penetrate the defenders tackles and haphazardly took a shot couple of yards off the goalmouth which led to a corner. Neither side showed glimpses of having a foothold in the game in the first half as it ended all square with no goals scored.

The second half opened brightly as both teams displayed some pace and movement around the park moving the ball well. Then in the 66th minute, Elama Singh received a second yellow for a foul and was therefore sent off. Lajong capitalised on the advantage when substitute, Samuel Lalmuanpuia headed the ball in the goal from the subsequent free kick taken by Jacob. The goal scored in the 71st minute gave the young players the much needed boost as they started to play much better football.

The Reds started to dominate the match with the one man advantage as they started to control possession. Then in the 81st minute, Bipin Singh made a beautiful cross from the right which was perfectly headed into the goal by substitute, Ksankupar Khongmalai. The Blues tried to get back into the game but the Reds remained composed at the back and defended well for a clean sheet. Lajong scored the third and final goal in the 84th minute after the opponent’s defender made a mistake with a back pass to the Goalkeeper, which was intercepted by teenager, Lalramuana, who put the ball past the keeper with ease.

The Full time score was 3-0 in favour of Lajong and this win has boosted the morale of the players which will help in preparation for their next match against Laitumkhrah on the 7th of September 2015.