Match Report: KEB beat Lajong

Match Report: KEB beat Lajong

East Bengal FC Beat Shillong Lajong FC by 4 Goals in the I-league encounter played in Kolkata today at the Barasat Stadium. Ranti Martins scored a hat trick for the Kolkata outfit and Bikash Jairu put his name in the score sheet too.

The first half started off very brightly for Lajong as they earned the first corner of the match within a few minutes after kick off. There was a diving header attempted but was thwarted by the East Bengal defence.  One of the best chances of the match fell for Bipin Singh of Lajong in the 8th minute after Boithang lobbed the ball into the box where the former had only the keeper to beat with a header but his attempt went just wide of the post. East Bengal responded with a shot on target in the 10th minute by Rafique but his shot was punched away by Vishal Kaith of Lajong.

Lajong had another chance in the 15th minute when Uilliams got the ball on the edge of the box but his eventual shot did not connect well. East Bengal who were quiet in the first quarter of the match, opened the scoring in the 17th minute through Ranti Martins who made an easy tap in goal assisted by Sanju Pradhan from the flank. Lajong were playing well as Uilliams impressed the spectators by dribbling past defenders but his team lacked the clinical quality upfront. East Bengal punished Lajong for their missed chances as Ranti scored his second goal in the 26th minute after taking a long range shot which went straight into the Goal. Lajong continued to display good football but the bad decision making in the final third let them down. Ranti Martin scored his hat trick in the 36th minute after swiftly getting past a defender and the keeper to find an open goal. Lajong captain Aiborlang Khongjee picked up a knee injury before the third goal was scored and was eventually replaced by youngster Lalrammuana in the 43rd minute.

Lajong started the second half well, with an early chance for Penn Orji in front of Goal but chance was squandered by the East Bengal defence. However, things got from bad to worse for Lajong as East Bengal who were attacking so well, found their fourth goal in the 52nd minute through Bikash Jairu. East Bengal cruised through the second half as their four goal cushion provided a lot of confidence to their players. Lajong tried their best to get back in the game and worked really hard throughout the pitch but their attacking play led them down as they failed to find the net. Lajong defender, Chinglensana Singh picked up a second yellow card in the 82nd minute and was therefore sent off. Lajong played with 10 players on the pitch until the final whistle.

Lajong will travel to Mizoram to play their next away match on the 13th of February against Aizawl FC.