Match Report: Mumbai beat Lajong

Match Report: Mumbai beat Lajong

Mumbai FC defeated Shillong Lajong FC 2-1 at the Cooperage Ground in Mumbai on Sunday evening in a Hero I-League Encounter.

Mumbai FC started the match on a bright note as they pressed Lajong deep into the box and created many chances. The home team showed a lot of urgency and intensity early on and their attackers had numerous chances at goal in the opening quarter of the match. Lajong who suffered a loss in their last match played in Goa, found it tough to settle in the match and it was only after the 15 minute mark that Fabio and Penn found themselves on the attacking third. Lajong had a couple of chances of their own through Fabio but could not trouble the Mumbai FC Goalkeeper too much.

Mumbai FC broke the deadlock in the 41st minute after their Liberian Midfielder was fouled outside the box. Steven Dias took the free kick and beat the Lajong keeper thereby giving Mumbai FC the lead. The first half ended with just one goal scored by the Home team.

Lajong made the first substitution at the start of the second half by bringing on Isaac for Bipin. Lajong missed a golden opportunity to take the lead within two minutes of the second half kick off when Fabio passed the ball to the right into the oncoming Samuel Shadap who unfortunately missed the goal.  Immediately, Mumbai were on the attack as their shot was cleared off the line by Lajong defender. Mumbai were unlucky not to take the lead in the 51st minute when Eric Brown’s free kick hit the crossbar and the rebound taken by Rane also hit the crossbar. Meanwhile, Penn Orji for Lajong was the most industrious throughout the match and earned a penalty for Lajong in the 54th minute. Fabio took the penalty and equalised for Lajong in the 56th minute.

Mumbai responded with a lot of domination of the ball and kept looking to regain the lead. Rupert Nongrum had a chance in the 65th minute at goal but his shot went wide. Both teams had few chances to take the lead but were denied. It was in the 86th minute when Minchol Son headed a corner towards goal and gave his side Mumbai FC the lead again. Lajong tried to get back in the game but it was little too late.

Shillong Lajong are in the danger and have to improve their performance in their last match at home against East Bengal on 24th of April 2016.