Meg Invitation:Lajong in semis

Meg Invitation:Lajong in semis

Shillong Lajong FC registered a 2-1 victory over GTC Boys Shillong in the second game of the quarterfinals stage of the Meghalaya Invitation Football Tournament at SSA ground Polo today.

The Reds have advanced to the semifinals of the tournament and will take on Oil India on 24th November.

In the 5th minute, Bipin Singh made a good run inside the box and shoots but the GTC keeper dived to save the ball from entering the net.

Their second chance of the match came in two minutes later when Sheen Sohktung blasted the ball from outside the box but the keeper was quick to block his shot. In the very next minute, Lajong were very close to open their account again but Alen Deory’s shot from inside the box was collected by the very alert goalkeeper of GTC.

Shillong Lajong who are in a terrific form this season dominated majority of the possession in the game and had plenty of chances. Another one came in the 11th minute but Bipin Singh’s shot went just over the crossbar.

After a very exciting 15 minutes played by Lajong, GTC on the other hand got their first real chance on goal when they received a free kick but their player’s shot was headed away just on time by Lajong defender Pritam Kumar Singh.

Finally, after pushing forward continuously, Lajong broke the deadlock in the 24th minute after Isaac Vanmawlsawma converted the penalty from the spot to send the ball to the top left corner of the net.

But the lead was cancelled out as GTC managed to level the score line when Tshering found the back of the net in the 42nd minute.

Both teams went into the break with the score line 1-1.

In the 65th minute, Shillong Lajong were given a free kick after the referee spotted a foul committed by the GTC player. Samuel Lalmuanpuia who came on as a substitute blasted a powerful shot from 30 yards but the GTC keeper who was having a good game, made another brilliant save to deny Lajong the goal.

Thangboi Singto’s boys however, kept on adding pressure on GTC players and were making some really good passes and moves upfront. Their efforts were finally rewarded, when Alen Deory headed the ball from inside the box to give Lajong a 2-1 lead in the 80th minute.

Shillong Lajong FC emerged as winners in today’s game and will be playing the semifinals against Oil India on the 24th November.