MMB Beat Lajong

Haitian Sony Norde in action against Shillong Lajong at Tilak Maidan on Tuesday.In the final Group B fixture of the Federation Cup 2014-15, Mohun Bagan won against Shillong Lajong FC with a solitary goal. Kinshuk Debnath scored the only goal of the match in the 74th minute and helped his side record a 1-0 victory over the Reds.


The Lajong gaffer elected to give first team start to Vishal Kaith, Redeem Tlang, Jacob, Samuel Shadap and Milan Singh while Kunzang Bhutia, Sandeep Singh, Pritam kumar, Bipin Singh, Joseph, Lalrammuana including Boithang Haokip were benched. The team was captained by Aibor Khongjee and had the inclusion of regular first team starters namely; Nim Dorgee, Robin Gurung, Seiminlen Doungel David Ngaihte and Rupert Nongrum.


The game hit off to a cracking start as the first chance fell to the Kolkata side. India International Jeje made space for himself and striked a powerful shot from outside the box which was brilliantly saved by the Young Lajong custodian, Vishal Kaith.


Lajong’s first real opportunity came in the 14th minute with a long range effort by teenager Jacob but his shot was saved by Mohun Bagan keeper Shilton Paul.


In the 26th minute, Mohun Bagan were awarded a penalty and shockingly Jeje missed his shot from the spot kick as Vishal Kaith made another superb save to deny Mohun Bagan the lead.


In the 45th minute, Katsumi’s pass found Jeje, who made a fine run into the box but the Shillong defenders were upto the mark to deny the Mariners.


When the second session started, Mohun Bagan began to take control of the match and came very close to surge ahead when Sony created space for himself and delivered a good ball to Yusa Katsumi in the 49th minute.


In the 74th minute, Mohun Bagan were awarded a free kick from a threatenting position. Sony Norde took the free kick and found his team mate Bello who tried to score but his shot was saved by Vishal. The rebound unfortunately landed straight to Kingshuk who did not fail to score and therefore gave his side the much needed goal.


As the game wore on, the Reds found it difficult to level the score and the Lajong striking force once again proved futile as they were not able to apply their finishing touch, much to the dismay of the Lajong Gaffer and the expectations of the fans riding back home.


The referee then blew the fulltime whistle as victory was embraced by Mohun Bagan. Lajong Goalkeeper Vishal Kaith was awarded the Hero of the Match for his stupendous performance in today’s match.