Former AC Milan and Barcelona striker Ronaldin walked out on Brazilian giants Flamengo on Thursday, following a dispute over unpaid wages.
The 32 year old, decided to sue Flamengo for reportedly $20 million for unpaid salaries and delayed payments. His contract with the club has been terminated and Flamengo has been notified. Ronaldinho said that, suing Flamengo was the last thing he wanted to do but he was left with no other option.
The spat with Flamengo started on Wednesday, when the club’s vice president of football, Paulo Cesar Coutinho, said that Ronaldinho has not been performing well and that president Amorim was planning to suspend the player, apparently for not giving an explanation for why he decided not to play in a friendly organized to bring in funds that would help pay for part of his salaries.
Ronaldinho said that, the club owes him over €16 million in salaries, bonuses and image rights, and the Labour Court in Rio de Janeiro has ruled in favour of the player.
Ronaldinho had signed for Flamengo in 2011 in a deal worth €3m after spending three years at AC Milan.
Ronaldinho who was voted FIFA’s World Player of the Year in 2005 and 2006 has been under heavy pressure due to his poor performances and his form dropping drastically . Fans and even team coach Joel Santana had been castigating him, and there were talks going on that he will be leaving the club for some time.