Sporting Clube Beat Lajong

Sporting Clube Beat Lajong

Shillong Lajong FC went down to Sporting Club de Goa by a scoreline of 1-2 in the visitor’s favour even after the home side managed to pull one back before Sporting’s winner.

The game began brightly for the home side who dominated the match and pushed the visitor’s on the back foot. The Reds showed some good attacking performances and almost went up ahead on the 26th minute when some fast paced passing found Glen who chipped it over the defense for Uilliams but the Brazilian could not control his shot and fired right at the keeper’s legs.

The match went on and the hosts were again on the front foot pushing one attack after the other. The game however went on into the break with the scores level even though Lajong were clearly the better side having created chances and keeping Sporting Club De Goa very quiet.

The second half began and Lajong having displayed a much better performance than their opposition in the first half were almost up as early as in the 49th minute had it not been for Sporting goalkeeper Ravi Kumar who kept Penn Orji’s shot away from goal.

Lajong were dominating the second half but the Goan side found the breakthrough instead. Rehenesh TP who has not started the previous two matches for Lajong failed to find a Lajong defender from his pass which scattered into open ground and the alert Brandon Fernandes fired a first time shot at the open goal to give his side the lead in the 70th minute. Rehenesh who was a good 10 yards off his line could do nothing to stop the shot.

The hosts though shell shocked having given away such an easy goal were on their toes again pouncing on the Sporting defense that has been nervy all evening. The pressure proved to be working as Lajong won a free kick on the right flank. Uilliams, who has been taking most of the free kicks since Boithang Haokip struggled with an injury, fired a cross that found no header and caught the keeper off guard to equalise in the 74th minute. Ravi Kumar could do nothing to stop the cross as it flew into the back of the net.

The equaliser seemed to fire up the hosts who went in search of their second. Lajong won a corner in the 80th minute which was taken short to Penn Orji who crossed it into Khelemba Meitei for a header but the Lajong centre back headed right against the post. The visitors were lucky to get away with the chance.

Brazilian Uilliams Souza Silva who was brought down just before the corner remained sidelined and Sporting Club De Goa took full advantage of the 10 men Lajong side. Swift passing from the back found in form striker Odafa Okolie who did not miss his one on one chance with the goalkeeper to bring his side back into the lead in the 83rd minute sending Rehenesh TP the wrong way.

Hard done by the second goal Thangboi Singto hurdled his side back into the game by bringing on David Ngaihte in place of the injured Uilliams. The Reds kept pushing hard for the late equaliser but it was just not Shillong Lajong’s day as the side succumbed to their first defeat in 4 straight games.

The defeat for Shillong Lajong FC deterred their position to 7th place with 20 points from 18 games but the Goan side have a much better breathing space and sit on 6th position with 20 points from 18 games but with a better head-to-head record.

Shillong Lajong will play their next home match against Pune FC on the 24th of May 2015 at the JN Stadium, Shillong which will prove to be a crucial encounter for the Reds as they are not yet safe from relegation.